Feb 4, 2008

Don't it make my bad pics, god?

With film, photographers can fiddle with things in the darkroom, play with chemicals and other things to make unique photographs, or help their image stand out.

With digital photography, I am learning that a good editing program, such as Adobe Photoshop, becomes my dark room.

At the moment, I am experimenting with adjustment layers, burning and dodging, color and saturation adjustment. When I am comfortable tweaking such things, (As in: learning how to not take it so far as for an image to be glaringly unnatural looking) I'm going to move into other effects--such as vignettes, perhaps fake dirt, dust, noise and aging as well as other digital touches.

I'd like to think that despite the medium, digital or traditional, practice makes perfect.

Most of it depends on how well of a shot I got. I still can't fix stupid in adobe, so that's good. But I can at least learn how to fix overexposed or too much grain. :p

Here are some before and after shots of my learning. They aren't going to be stunning or perfect, but I'm open to any advice or reactions!

Yellow flower before and after:






Before editing|


After Editing









Before editing





After Editing







If anyone is interested in how I came about these changes in photoshop, I learned the basics of it from a video tutorial at deviant art, uploaded by an amazing nature photographer, Kev Lewis. The tutorial is here: Image Processing in Adobe Photoshop. Keep in mind before clicking that it will play as soon as it loads.

0 comments: